Old Schoolhouse Self Catering
Fort Augustus & South Loch Ness
Old Schoolhouse - Errogie. South Loch Ness. Sleeps 4 - log fire
Situated within the small hamlet of Errogie in Stratherrick, with beautiful views over loch and mountain, the Old Schoolhouse has a wonderful atmosphere and is a perfect base to explore the Scottish Highlands and Loch Ness. Built in 1878, and a teacher's house for over a hundred years, the Old Schoolhouse adjoins the Old School (now home to the owners). It has been simply and tastefully modernised retaining much of its original character and sleeps four in one double and one twin-bedded room. A box-hedged garden overlooking the loch is for sole use of guests, while the rear garden, run as an organic small-holding, is shared by guests and owners alike.
The Old Schoolhouse is situated in hills high above the southern shores of Loch Ness, with views to the south over Loch Mhor and the Monadhliaths. Seventeen miles away, Inverness is within easy reach for shopping, theatre, cinema and leisure facilities. The area is rich in wildlife: pine marten, deer, red squirrels, black grouse, osprey and divers are all seen nearby, while RSPB'S Loch Ruthven (for Slavonian grebes) is just down the road. With miles of tracks, quiet roads and forest, or the open solitude of hill and moor, there is plenty of scope for cycling and walking straight from the house. Or you can fish from the loch shore, or visit Loch Ness and the Falls of Foyers via the ancient Pass of Inverfarigaig…
The area is steeped in history, from Neolithic hut circles to castles and battlefields, and the property makes for a good base to explore further afield: the sands of the Moray coast, Cairngorms National Park, the Caledonian forests of Glen Affric, Skye and the west.
We are child-friendly, as 'eco' as possible, and flexible as to your requirements. The absence of WiFi, mobile phone coverage and TV reception makes for a quiet holiday away from it all, and although guests are welcome to use internet and phone facilities at the Old School if they wish, the ample library, large selection of games and DVDs, and opportunity for painting classes from a local artist provide alternative entertainment for rainy days.
- Comfortable lounge with wood-burning stove, CD, DVD player and radio. note: there is no TV reception at present. A selection of CDs, DVDs, books and games are available for your use. Views across garden to loch and hills.
- Kitchen/dining room overlooking rear garden with electric hob and oven, microwave, fridge and freezer, washing machine, all the usual kitchen utensils, high chair, ironing facilities.
Outdoor washing line.
- Double bedroom with Victorian fireplace, beautiful views, king size bed.
- Twin bedroom overlooking rear garden.
- Cot and highchair available.
- Bathroom has bath with shower over, wash-hand basin, radiator with towel rail, toilet.
Included in the price
- Electricity, and oil for heating.
- Bed linen.
- Front garden and side garden with box hedges, garden furniture and barbecue.
Please note: the front and side garden is for the sole use of guests. You are also welcome to use the rear garden which is shared with the owners.
Family and eco friendly, but sorry, no smoking and no pets.
There is no mobile phone reception but owners phone available for use 'if necessary'
- Groceries, including milk, bread, bacon, eggs, orange juice, butter etc, can be arranged if ordered in advance. There are plenty of supermarkets in Inverness, open all day on Sunday.
Good house keeping deposit of £75.00 required.
- Outstanding views of Loch Farraline and the Monadliath mountains.
- Forest walks and Loch Ness just 10 minutes by car
- Ideal location for touring the Highlands and Islands
Anyday booking available - Minimum stay 3 nights apart from July and August when weekly bookings apply - Saturday - Saturday.
|Price Range:||£305 - £500|
|Location:||Errogie - South Loch Ness|
More Properties in this Region
- Old Lock Keepers Cottage
- Woodpecker Pad
- Rowan Ridge
- The Coltsfoots
- Allt a'Mhuilinn
- Lus na Gaoithe
- Cameron's Cottage
- Owl Cottage
- The Haven
- Coach House
- Gate House
- Log House
- Hill Head Croft